When deciding to invest in an electrocardiograph, the first step is, of course, obtaining one that is manufactured by a reliable, well-known, reputable company. Whether you are getting an EKG for the first time, or you want to replace an outdated device, there are some aspects you must consider making a good choice. Here we´ll cover the most important points you have to keep in mind during the process.
Identify your needs
The best EKG for you is the one that, besides being accurate and reliable, fits your needs. In that sense, is important to know:
- What kind of test do you perform?
Resting EKGs? Rhythm EKGs? Spirometry? Stress Test?
- What kind of patients do you attend?
Pediatric, adult, or both?
- Do you work in different locations or offices?
- Do you offer your patient home services?
If you just perform one or the other test, you need a device that performs the specific function you are looking for. But if you perform a combination of resting EKG, spirometry, or stress tests, you need an electrocardiograph that can do them all. Possibly, you will need to invest in extras to use the device in either mode function, but that will be cheaper than buying separate devices for each test.
For those who are dedicated to adults and children is important to check if the device has the technical specifications, in this case, a bandwidth that reaches at least 0.05 to 250 Hz, to acquire and analyze pediatric patients’ EKGs.
If you need to consider the size and weight of the device, there are powerful EKGs that are as practical as a tablet, can perform reliable tests, and allow you to take them wherever you need them.
Budget and Price-quality ratio
Selecting a device just because of its low cost does not mean you are saving money. The most assertive variables to decide how much to invest in an electrocardiograph are associated with the quality and durability of the device, as well as the availability of service and spare parts/consumables, and the ability of the manufacturer to innovate in products that adapt to new and future needs.
Choose an EKG that offers higher advantages than the cost. Consider the intangible benefits like available inventory, warranty, training, free installation, or free software updates. Having the confidence that you will always be backed by the company that sells the device, and that they have good post-sales service is also very important.
After you have decided what you need, it is time to think of a device that offers the most recent technology. Yes, there are cheaper ones that take useful EKGs, but it is worthwhile investing in modern, reliable, and accurate devices. Therefore, to make a good choice you should consider the following features
- Does the electrocardiograph have a friendly interface?
- Leads. Is the EKG multichannel? Does it show at least 3 channels on screen? Does it simultaneously acquire at least 12 leads?
- Screen. Is it big enough? Is it color? Can you see images or just symbols? Does it show where to place the leads? Does it advise on low signal quality and/or lead inversion?
- How to export the test / Connectivity. Does the EKG connect via Wi-Fi/LAN /Ethernet? Does it allow communication to HIS/EMR systems? Does it allow bidirectional communication?
- Printing reports. Can the EKG be saved to a USB stick? Can it export the test in PDF format? Does the device have a built-in multichannel printer?
- Memory. Can the device store your reports? How many resting EKGs or rhythms can it store?
- Patient information. Can you store patient data? Can you input data using a barcode scanner or import it from your EMR?
- Safety. Does it have cybersecurity protocols for patient data protection? Is it HIPAA compliant?
As you have realized, getting an electrocardiograph is a decision that should not be made considering the price only. The best device is the one that, besides coming from a reliable company, fits your needs, reduces health care costs, simplifies workflow, and improves clinical outcomes.
Throughout the month of December 2022, we are offering a special on the Schiller Cardiovit FT-T Tablet ECG, please visit our special pages for current promotions here.